Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Reader Request: DIY Geometric Doormat

Yesterday I posted a photo of my newly DIYed doormat on Instagram and received oodles of lovely compliments on it.  And since I've had a few requests for a tutorial, I decided to expedite the writing of this particular post so I could share it with you ASAP.  Seriously, thanks a million for all of the positive feedback, not just on this project, but for everything.  You guys are the best!



So I think you'd be super surprised at how freaking easy and cheap this project really is.  Here's a list of my simple supplies:

- Ikea TRAMPA Doormat ($9.99 at Ikea)
- 2" wide painters tape
- leftover white semi-gloss trim paint
- a crappy paint brush
- a piece of 8.5" x 11" scrap paper
- scissors

First, I used the letter-sized scrap paper to create a nearly-symmetrical template for my design.  Instead of slaughtering the simplicity of this task by attempting to transcribe how I cut the paper, I decided to create a pictorial step-by-step.  Follow the arrows...

 
Once I had created my paper template, I located the center of my doormat via tape measure, and secured the template in place with a little piece of under-mounted rolled up tape.

With my diamond-shaped template in place, I applied tape around it's perimeter.  Make sure the tape doesn't actually touch the paper, as you'll need to remove the template before you paint.  To get a perfectly-taped "diamond", I free-handed the points of each diamond once the pieces of tape met up.

To ensure equal distance between my geometric lines, I snipped off two strips of the 2" tape to use as spacers while I continued taping my design outward.  You can recycle the same two tape "spacers" for the entire project.

After all of my lines were taped, I removed my paper template.  Then I refolded my template back into a triangle (folded twice), and cut approximately 2" off -- this created a tiny diamond to serve as the very center of my design.  I secured the tiny diamond with tape to make sure it stayed put during the painting process.  If you haven't figured it out already, this tiny diamond step is pretty much identical to the steps required to create the original diamond template.

I originally planned to spray paint this rug, but honestly, these rugs soak up a LOT of spray paint.  I also wanted a thicker paint job that would endure plenty of feet over time.  So I decided to open up a can of leftover trim paint and give that a whirl.  Why the heck not?

To apply the paint, I used a crappy, low quality paint brush that we had sitting around.  Then I got to paintin'.  This part was a bit more tedious than I had expected it to be, as the doormat sucked up a lot of paint.  But there was no turning back at this point, so I kept on keepin' on.  Good news - it only required one coat.  Yay!

I let my doormat dry for about two days, removed the tape, and marveled over it's beauty.  Back in the fall, I took a stab at another doormat design and the final product fell short of my grandiose expectations (you can read about that one here).  But this little baby put a smile on my face.  Winner winner chicken dinner.

Hey, good lookin'.

Even better than the overall attractiveness of my new doormat?  The price.  Aside from the actual doormat, I had every one of my supplies already on hand for this project which brought the grand total spent for my new geometric doormat to a wallet-friendly $10.  Can't argue with that.

For those of you who requested a tutorial on this, please share pictures of your own geometric doormat -- I'd love to see them!!  I have a few new posts lined up waiting for pictures, so keep your eyes peeled for newly posted projects from this DIY squirrel.  Thank you again for all the love!!

No comments:

Post a Comment