Monday, March 25, 2013

Happy Note Calendar


It's time for another Pinterest-inspired conquest.  This:



As inspired by this pin:

Originally featured on Design Sponge.


Upon first glance, it doesn't seem like much.  But if you read the description of it, it's really quite fantastic.  In a nutshell, it's a recyclable calendar with a date-stamped index card for each day of the year.  As you cycle through the calendar, you take note of memorable events on each card by citing the year and the event.  For example, on December 25th you might write "2011 - Got 2 tickets to Key West for Christmas!!!".  You might also note things such as baby's first steps, the day your dog learned how to sit, when you got a new car, or even something as simple as "took a walk through the woods with Roon & Chris".  The idea is that as you cycle through the calendar through the years, you'll stumble across your memorable notations and feel happy.  Cheesy, but I had to have one of my own.

 If you'd like to craft your own happy note calendar, here's what you'll need:

- 366 lined-index cards (taking leap year into account)
- a date stamp, or a nice pen to hand write the dates
- a display box to hold your cards

The original pin shows white lined-index cards, cut in half to fit a repurposed cardboard berry basket.  There are a lot of ways that you could make your calendar "your own" by storing the cards in a unique box, or by choosing different types of index cards.  Did you know there are even neon index cards?  Neon's the bees knees right now.  I opted for some sweet color-striped 4x6 index cards and an antique cheese box.

As for stamping the date, you can either use a date stamp or write the dates by hand.  I borrowed my date stamp from work since I liked the stamped look better, and believe it or not, it really didn't take that long to stamp each card.  To help put it into perspective, it only took me about 3/4's of an episode of Snooki & Jwoww to stamp all 366 cards (no shame).  Then I put the cards in their new box, and that was it!  To officially inaugurate my new calendar, I scribbled "made this calendar" on that day's card.





My happy note calendar is going to live in our kitchen for now.  I can't wait for a few years to go by so the cards start getting exciting!

2 comments:

  1. I do really like this..not sure if I have enough patience to make all 366 cards, and THEN follow though with it, but I am considering it. Let me know if you remember to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally loving the simplicity of this! How special would it be years down the line? Consider it pinned.

    ReplyDelete