Monday, February 25, 2013

It's Taupe-ally Grey, Right?

Taupe, grey, taupey-grey-ish; the hue is open to interpretation.  For the record, Martha calls it Bedford Grey.  I call it the new swagger on my hallway doors.
 

When we replaced our hallway doors, we never painted them.  This was probably due in part to sheer laziness, but mostly because we just weren't satisfied with the idea of painting them plain 'ol white.  Leave it to me to want to attack even our doors with my obnoxious need for originality.  Nothing is safe in our home.  Nothing.

After over a year of staring at the scuffed, bland primer on our doors, I decided they needed to get painted.  The thought of plain white or cream was still nauseatingly blah, so I knew the remedy had to be a bit more nontraditional.  I thought of a color, perhaps a blue, but that seemed a little too over the top, even for my liking.  I've seen people do black or espresso doors, but that was too austere.  So I decided on a middle ground between the extremes: grey.  And in order to avoid clashing with the sandy walls, I decided that a warm grey would best compliment the hallway's color scheme.  A quick surf of the paint aisle later, and we had our color: Martha Stewart's Bedford Grey.

I'm a Behr kind of gal, so I had the kind folks in the Home Depot paint department color match Martha's color to the Behr Ultra Premium Plus paint in a silky, satin finish.  Why not semi-gloss you ask?  Because I have a strong distaste for shiny decor, and I'd prefer the warmth of a softer finish.  But that's just me.

This past weekend I decided to make the best of my current motivation and get the door painting job done.  The first thing I did was prep each door for the perfect paint job.  I began by wiping down the doors to remove any dust, dirt, what have you from the surface.  I also ran a lint roller across the top of the door to do-away with any dust bunnies hanging out up there.  Then I loosened the door knobs and taped them off.  To protect my door hinges from paint, I taped over them with painter's tape.  I happened to do this in a pretty nifty manner...behold:


Once my doors were prepped to my satisfaction, it was time to paint.  I used an angle brush to apply paint in the door crevices, around the door knob, and on any other surface that I couldn't really get with a roller.  Then I used a small, smooth-surface roller to apply the paint.  Using a small roller for painting doors is ideal as it creates a smooth finish, and doesn't hold more paint than needed like a larger roller would.

I let my doors dry for about 45 minutes before applying a second coat.  By the end of the day, I had four beautiful doors in my hallway!  In case you're wondering, I plan on painting the inside of the doors an unexciting white so that they don't clash with the color schemes of the rooms themselves.  But I'll save that task for another day...





All in all, I'm super pleased with the way the doors turned out!  The color is very dynamic and varies in different lighting; sometimes the doors look grey, sometimes they appear taupe.  We'll continue to add character to the hallway by swagging-out the walls with a colorful gallery of framed art and treasures.  I've got a couple of framed beauts lined up already, so stay tuned!

6 comments:

  1. looks good! I like your before and after graphic! I could never paint our doors anything but glossy...we need the scrub-ability for things like dog pee, but the satin looks pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah gloss or semi-gloss can be a little easier to wipe off.

      Delete
  2. So very casual and relaxes the hallway....you are truly a great little homemaker, Erin. This reminds me of a coastal cottage look....love the rug too. Happy improvements! Aunt Sue


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I adore my hallway rug; it was a West Elm splurge that I got during a rug sale last year!

      Delete
  3. awesome. perfect color, subtle enough to go with the flow but also adds some drama and dimension to your home. Love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jess! I'm actually pondering painting the living room that same color...

      Delete