Sunday, January 13, 2013

That's How the Cookie Crumbles

This post comes later than I had intended to.  You see, in early December I made the coolest Christmas decoration (by far, one of my personal favorites).  I even hung it up and eagerly posted an Instagram photo of it. 

I loved it so.
And then came unexpected tragedy.

Don't mind the wire-tie.
One day while we were out-and-about in the holiday bustle, my beautiful wreath took a tumble.  The glue had apparently failed, causing the cookie cutter wreath to crumble.  To make the situation even more pathetic, Rooney was home alone and probably had his innocent baby-dog world rocked by the noise of crashing aluminum.  He's okay though.  I wasn't.

And that's where this post came to a screeching halt.  I knew I wasn't giving up on my awesome project, but I needed to come up with a way to give it a "Six Million Dollar Man" makeover before I shared the final product with you guys.  You can probably assume at this point that I did, and you are so right.  Instead of gluing the cookie cutters together, I opted to tie them together with wire.  Success!  Here's how I made and reconstructed my precious cookie cutter wreath:


Supplies:
- metal cookie cutters
- a small paper plate (or a similarly-sized round object)
- 28 gauge wire
- decorative ribbon

1. Get a hold of some metal cookie cutters.  I bought a 40 piece Wilton cookie cutter set at Joann's for about $10 (after a coupon, of course).  I actually used every single cookie cutter in this set for my wreath.


2. Using a small paper plate as a guide for your center, create a design.  This step will take you a considerable amount of time, as it takes a lot of trial and error to get an even wreath-y shape.


3. Connect your cookie cutters.  I originally glued my pieces together, using paper clips as mini clamps until it dried.  After my dreadful accident, I opted for 28-guage wire the second time around.  You can probably get some wire at Joann's, but I'm positive it'll be overpriced.  I bought mine at Home Depot for less than $3.  If you can't specifically find 28-guage, try looking for something thin and malleable enough to easily wrap around your cookie cutters.  Again, this step took a little time, but it's much stronger and more permanent than glue.



4. Use a piece of cute ribbon to hang up your treasure!  I scrounged through my ribbon scraps and found the perfect piece for the job.  I also chose to hang my wreath in my kitchen, as the subject matter only seemed appropriate.



I gotta say, I'm pretty pleased that this project ended up working out in the end.  Though it's January-something, my wreath is still happily hanging in the kitchen...though I guess it might be time to put it away for until next Christmas.  Can't wait!   


5 comments:

  1. I love this wreath and was going to start mine until I ready our post! I'd like to try E6000 glue - yes or no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristen! I'd say it couldn't hurt to try another glue, but I know the thin gauge wire will work 100%. I know it sounds daunting, but it would probably take about the same amount of time to use the wire than it would be to glue each cookie cutter together (dry time included). Keep me posted on how the E6000 glue works out for you! -DIYsquirrel

      Delete
  2. Before I found your tutorial, I made a similar wreath for my daughter for Christmas. I used hot glue which held together long enough for her to take her out of the gift bag. I think it was just too heavy. I love your idea of making the wreath with more than one round of cookie cutters and using the 28-gauge wire. I'll be giving it another shot. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great gift! I agree that the cookie cutters are just too heavy for most glues. There may be a heavy duty adhesive that could work, but the wire has held up perfectly me for me! I'm glad my post could be of some help :) Happy New Year!

      Delete
  3. I just found this-I have been trying to make a cookie cutter wreath with the same outcome. Looks great on the table but hang it up for two minutes and wham! Down it comes. I had just decided this would be my first ever pinterest fail, but maybe there is hope! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete