Wednesday, July 18, 2012

THE BiRTHDAY D0G!

Today is Rooney's first birthday!  Though Roon only gets the occasional mention in our blog posts, he's our pride 'n joy and gets a disgusting amount of love on a regular basis.  We got our pup just before Thanksgiving when he was a measly four months old and just a wee little pipsqueak.  Since then he's developed quite a personality, as well as sprouted four beanstalks for legs (his most notable feature).

Yummy.

Call me a crazy dog lady, but I really wanted to do something "special" for our pooch's first birthday.  First off, he was in need of some new toys.  Rooney probably has more toys than most dogs, but he does such a stellar job of occupying himself with his toys instead of gnawing on shoes, that I don't mind spoiling him with an array of tennis balls and squeaks.  He received his last round of toys at Christmas, and since then the toy basket has slowly depleted due to excessive mutilation.  So it was time for some new toys.  I usually get his toys from T.J.Maxx or HomeGoods since they're so cheap, but I also got him a few at Target (he especially likes Target's "fox ball", which he's had 4 of).  Instead of giving him his toys all at once, we gave him a new one every couple of nights starting about a week ago -- kind of like an "Eight Crazy Nights" sort of thing.


I think he likes it.

And though I photographed the birthday dog in a paper birthday hat (might be a crazy dog lady), I did not bake him a cake with a candle to blow out.  I did, however, make him a special summer treat.  I researched some delicious k-9 snackaroos on Pinterest and settled on a homemade Frosty Paws recipe.  I had some fun shaped ice-cube trays from Ikea which made the treats even cuter -- little starfish and fishy shapes, oh my.  Our 'lil hound has a soft spot for bananas and peanut butter, so we really won him over with these treats. Here's the super simple recipe:


Homemade "Frosty Paws" Treats

32 oz. plain yogurt
2 tablespoons of honey
2 tablespoons of peanut butter
1 banana

Mix all of the ingredients together until well blended.  Spoon the scrumptious mixture into ice-cube trays and freeze.  Impress your dog by feeding them a delicious homemade frosty treat.  They'll love you forever.



Nom, nom, nom.

Oh and I bought another "birthday" present for Rooney...it's actually more of a present for myself.  A Baltimore Ravens jersey!!  He's just too stinkin' cute, I can't stand it.

Cuteness overload.

We couldn't ask for a cuter, sweeter, or more obedient companion to help occupy our nest.  Oh how we love our Roon.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ROONEY!

Such a handsome little bean.

No comments:

Post a Comment