Saturday, November 26, 2011

Decking the Halls

I'm a "Christmas and all of it's glory shall wait until AFTER Thanksgiving" kind of gal.  Always have been, always will be.  So now that Turkey day is officially past it's prime, it's time to deck the halls and all that jazz.  My first decorating task: the fireplace. 

I began by removing all of the fall decorations and carefully putting them away for next year.  While I had the fireplace nice and naked, I thought it was a great opportunity to finally take the "after" picture of its transformation.  The fireplace was transformed into a beautiful butterfly, but the process was actually quite simple and involved few steps.  We painted it "Glass of Milk" by Martha Stewart in a satin finish.  But before we painted it with a nice silky warm finish, we took it upon ourselves to add some decorative details (i.e. a mega patriotic eagle).  It was pretty simple: we selected our craft wood eagle and corner finishes at Home Depot, glued and nailed them onto the fireplace, filled any gaps between the eagle and the fireplace with painters caulk, and then painted over it so the eagle and the fireplace became one.  Check it out it's pretty snazzy.
Oh so fabulous.
America the beautiful.

Nice little added touch.

Once I had my pretty little fireplace all dusted and clean, I began my decorating task.  I started by adding the salvaged door from the corner cabinet we removed a couple weeks ago.  I thought about repainting it but to be honest, I really dig the shabby-chic look it already has.  I think eventually I'll add some sort of decorative knob just for funzies, but for now it's good enough.  I then added a couple basics: 2 hurricane vases (which I snagged at a flea market for $2 for the pair) and a bronze pitcher.  These items remain on the fireplace year-round, and can be customized for any season.  I snaked some lighted garland throughout my setup, and it was beginning to look a lot like Christmas.  Now to go for the gold.

My Aunt has a GIANT bin full of pinecones she's collected from around her yard, so I helped myself to two grocery bags full of 'em.  This explains my pinecone craft obsession on Pinterest, in case any of you have noticed.  Anyway, I filled my large hurricane vase with a few of the pinecones.  I put a decorative white pine tree in the smaller hurricane vase, then scattered the rest of my pretty little white pines across the rest of the mantle to form a beatiful little snow forest.  By the way, I have 7 trees which I purchased for $5 total between the dollar store and Joann's.  Pretty sweet deal if you ask me.
My sweet free pinecones.

Cheapie trees!

Next I took Rooney bug out for a walk around the yard and collected a few bare branches from our sugar maple to fill the pitcher with.  I have to say, I am pretty pleased with the look of the sugar maple branches -- very wintery and whispy.  To top off my mantle decor, I added a little wreath to the door.  This wreath is from the dollar store, and I added a simple ivory bow to tie it in with the rest of the wintery scene I'd created so far.  In case you were wondering how I hung the wreath on the glass door -- that magic involves a clear suction cup with a screw partly screwed in to create a nail-in-the-wall type function.
Fantastic twigs.

"We're going to have the hap-hap-happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tapdanced with Danny-f'in-Kay."

I have to say, I'm more pleased with the outcome of the decor than I expected.  It's not quite done yet -- I still have to add our stockings and maybe a couple extra touches below the mantle.  But for now, it's perfectly Christmas and wonderful.  Now it's time to curl up on the sofa and tune into some Christmas classics!

1 comment: